On the evening of March 3, 2020, the third annual Mammoth Film Festival announced its award winners. The five-day festival celebrated over 100 first-rate films and episodics and held exclusive panels and press conferences that featured A-list talent, including Michael Madsen, Christian Madsen, Tara Wood, Anne Heche, Lesley-Ann Brandt, Thomas Jane, Lukas Haas, Jonathan Kite, Ashley Greene, Peter Facinelli, Rebel Wilson, Zac Efron, Tony Hawk, Ross McCall, Ed Westwick, along with two-time Academy Award nominee and filmmaker Dante Spinotti.
Festival founders Tanner Beard and Tomik Mansoori officially dedicated this year’s festival in honor of Dave McCoy, the beloved founder of Mammoth Mountain, who recently passed away at the age of 104. His documentary was also shown during the festival.
Presented by KODAK, MammothFF’s “Vol. 3” kicked off opening night with a never before seen, extended cut, of the Quentin Tarantino documentary QT8: THE FIRST EIGHT, directed by Tara Wood and introduced by actorMichael Madsen. His son Christian Madsen was also in attendance to premiere his debut action comedy short Dinner with Grandma.
Full Mammoth Film Festival’s Awards Winner List:
- Achievement in Filmmaking: Lukas Haas’ She’s In My Head
- Achievement in Filmmaking International: About Us
- Achievement in Filmmaking Music: Hour Of Lead
- Achievement in Filmmaking Cinematography: Now Is Everything – Dante Spinotti
- Achievement in Filmmaking Writer: William Day Frank – Susie Searches
- Achievement in Filmmaking Director: William Coakley – Runt
- Best TV Episodic: That One Time
- Best Genre Film (Short): Pleasant Canyon
- Best Genre Film (Feature): Deported
- Best Action Sports (Short): Rio Pangagonicos
- Best Action Sports (Feature): Pretending I’m a Superman
- Audience Award (Short): Adult Night
- Audience Award (Feature): Runt
- Best Documentary (Short): The Return
- Best Documentary (Feature): Pretending I’m a Superman
- Grand Jury Award (Short): Clarity
- Grand Jury Award (Feature): In Full Bloom
- Best Actress (Short): Joselyn Gallardo
- Best Actress (Feature): Jules Willcox
- Best Actor (Short): Brett Zimmerman
- Best Actor (Feature): Marc Manchecka
- Best Picture (Short): 40 Minutes Over Maui
- Best Picture (Feature): Alone
- Festival Favorite: Hour of Lead
The shorts category winner featured the directorial debut of indie rock experimentalist and actor Lukas Haas (@LukasHaas), as he takes a swing at the emotional complexities and shallow nature of Instagram in a music video that transcends categories for his new single, She’s In My Head. The video was co-directed by Ariel Vromen, and features cameos from actor Brandon Thomas Lee and model Tess Jantschek.
Photo Credit: Mammoth Film Festival / Getty Images / Michael Bezjian